A cruel cabbie who refused to pick up a blind man and his guide dog has been hit with a £600 fine.
Taiwo Osazuwa was called to pick up the disabled man from Asda in Eastlands , but wouldn’t let the dog in his car when he arrived.
The Hackney carriage driver was hauled before the courts after being charged with breaking laws under the Equality Act, which specifically require taxi and private hire drivers to carry guide and other assistant dogs.
Osazuwa, 59, knew the man had a guide dog before he arrived at the Asda store after his operator sent him to the job on June 3.
The man subsequently called another taxi firm and he and his dog were picked up without incident.
Osazuwa pleaded not guilty to breaking equality laws at Manchester Magistrates’ Court.
He found guilty and ordered to pay a £65 fine, £500 costs and a victim surcharge of £35.
Osazuwa holds a Hackney carriage licence with Rossendale council, but was working for a Manchester private hire firm at the time of the incident.
Town hall bosses in Lancashire will now call him to a hearing to see if he is worthy of keeping his Hackney carriage driver licence.
Manchester council’s neighbourhoods chief Nigel Murphy said: “We expect the highest standards from all taxi and private hire drivers operating in Manchester and will not tolerate anything less that exemplary behaviour.
“Assistance dogs are indispensable for many people with visual impairments allowing them a level of independence that might otherwise be impossible.
“So it is vital that both Hackney and private hire vehicles allow passengers with assistance dogs.
“I hope the severity of this fine reminds all drivers of their responsibilities.
“Unfortunately this problem often goes unreported, so I’d ask that anyone who has faced a similar issue to report it to us.”
A minicab driver who refused to pick up a blind 71-year-old woman and her guide dog, leaving them stranded, has been fined.
Samim Yakubi was worried the dog would urinate or leave hairs in his car after he arrived to pick them up in Wolverhampton on October 4 last year.
The 40-year-old was working for Wednesfield Radio Cars as a private hire driver when the incident happened. The company had already been told that Rita Nicholls would be travelling with her dog Charlie when Yakubi was dispatched.
Magistrates fined Yakubi £80 and ordered him to pay costs of £400 and a victim surcharge of £30 after he pleaded guilty to breaching the Equality Act.
City of Wolverhampton Council said Yakubi went to the arranged pick-up location in the city’s Market Street but when he realised the customer had a dog he said there had been a mistake and left without them.
Yakubi was interviewed under caution by council officers. He then admitted he had lied to Nicholls, saying the actual reason he left was because he was worried the dog would urinate in his car and leave hair inside.
Steve Evans, from the council, said: “This was discrimination, plain and simple.
“I find it despicable that a private hire driver, who is there to provide a service to everyone, would abandon a blind passenger because he didn’t want a guide dog in his car.
“Yakubi knew he was breaking the law, all drivers undergo disability awareness training, but he went ahead and did it anyway, motivated by purely selfish reasons.”
A private hire driver’s attempt to regain his private hire licence was quashed after he was suspended for allegedly assaulting one of his passengers.
Daniel Hughes appealed the decision made by Glasgow City Council’s licensing board to immediately suspend his licence after police made the committee aware of the alleged incident which took place on New Year’s Day.
The 56-year-old denied the charge against him at the licensing board.
However members decided to uphold their original decision.
Mr Hughes was charged for allegedly assaulting a man on New Year’s Day after the passenger was sick in his car at about 2am on January 1.
The police report of the incident said that the male passenger, who was accompanied by two female passengers, became unwell and was sick into his hands.
But some of the sick fell on the car’s interior.
Mr Hughes then shouted at the male and demanded that he pay £50 to cover the clean-up cost.
The sick passenger offered to clean the mess but Mr Hughes refused.
The report goes on to say the car was stopped after the passenger refused to pay the cost of cleaning the car and then got out – saying to the people he was with that he still felt unwell.
It was then Mr Hughes allegedly got out of the car, pushed the passenger over and kneeled on the passenger’s chest and punched him on the face.
Then, after other passengers restrained him, he went back to his car, retrieved a metal flask and allegedly struck the sick passenger to the left side of his face.
After the incident Mr Hughes drove away from the scene.
The male passenger attended hospital the following day where he was informed he had suffered from concussion as a result of the incident.
After a police investigation, Mr Hughes was charged with assault.
Although he has been charged, he has not been convicted with the case still to go before the courts.
The committee voted by five to two to suspend his licence for the time he had left on his three year licence.
A spokesman for Glasgow City Council said: “The Licensing Committee has a responsibility to ensure the safety of passengers using licensed vehicles.”
An Ipswich minicab driver has been convicted of touting for business and stealing a £450 phone belonging to a teenage girl he illegally picked up at Cardinal Park.
Valdet Miftari, of Compair Crescent, Ipswich, was also found guilty of plying for trade when not licensed as a public Hackney carriage and having no insurance for his Volvo V50, after a trial at the town’s magistrates’ court.
The 29-year-old denied all the charges.
On April 29, 2016 two teenage girls left Unit 17 nightclub in Cardinal Park between 2.30am and 2.45am, having booked a cab home through Hawk Express.
There were several cabs waiting for customers.
One of the women approached drivers to find the vehicle they had booked.
The third driver she approached was Miftari, a self-employed licensed private hire driver, working for Hawk Express.
The court was told he offered to take the women home, but when they got into his cab he asked one of them to call his office and cancel the booking, telling them to say ‘my mum had picked us up’.
It was claimed Miftari suggested stopping at a kebab shop on Norwich Road because he had heard the teenagers say they were hungry.
Miftari offered to wait inside for the food order, while the teenagers went to wait in his car.
One of the girls left her mobile phone on the counter. The prosecution said that out of the view of staff Miftari covered the phone with his arm, and then put it in his pocket.
After arriving home one of the teenagers realised she had lost her £450 phone. She contacted Hawk Express in the hope of recovering her phone, but Miftari had not been booked by the company.
The teenager went to the kebab shop and took a copy of its CCTV to the police, who identified Miftari’s Volvo.
She also went to Ipswich Borough Council as the licensing authority for taxis and minicabs.
A minicab driver invalidates his insurance if he touts for trade.
It was established Miftari had no reason to be in Cardinal Park. Miftari claimed he gave the teenagers a free lift home out of kindness, because they had been waiting in the cold, and he did not charge them for the journey. He admitted he took the phone, but said he had handed it back.
Miftari will be sentenced on March 21.
The city’s licensing chief Barbara Dring calls on taxi trade to shut off engines in a bid to help the city meet its clean air targets.
Taxis drivers who leave the engine running and pumping out pollution while waiting in city centre ranks are to be targeted by a new campaign.
The city’s licensing chief Barbara Dring has called on the taxi trade to make an effort to shut off engines in a bid to help the city meet its clean air targets.
But she has admitted it will be difficult to enforce such a measure with fines or bans and instead hopes drivers will turn off their engines voluntarily if prompted by warning signs.
It is estimated that 520 people in Birmingham a year die prematurely as a result of poor air quality and the council has been warned it faces a £60 million fine if it does not tackle pollution.
Measures already being looked at include a city centre Clean Air Zone in which high-polluting lorries, vans and buses will be charged, and controversial new restrictions to reduce the age of licensed taxis and minicabs – getting cleaner and greener vehicles on the roads.
Taxi drivers groups are up in arms over the plans, to be introduced in December. to replace the age limit from 14 years to a new emissions test which more than 500 cars would fail.
Now licensing chiefs are also looking at warning signs in lay-bys, taxi ranks and outside schools to get waiting cars to stop idling.
Cllr Dring (Lab, Oscott) said: “Taxis are among the worst for emissions when they stand and have their engines running.
“We are in talks with regard to the trade clean air act and this is one of the things we will be addressing.
“We have the right to ask any car to turn off their engine while stationary and we are looking to enforce this especially around New Street Station.”
She highlighted Sundridge Primary School in Kingstanding which has put up warning signs for waiting parents. “This is something which could be done across the city.”
And suggested that New Street Station, where taxis spend a long time waiting, could provide a warm waiting area for drivers to reduce the temptation to keep engines running in the winter.
A former taxi driver, operating in Surrey, has been convicted of grossly overcharging customers.
41-year-old Firoz Mohammed, of Gabriel Close in Feltham, has had his licence revoked.
He charged six vulnerable adults between £10 and £15 EACH for a journey between Staines Train Station and Shepperton.
Following his conviction on 14 charges, Mohammed was given six points on his licence and fined £180 for having no insurance.
He was further fined £650 for breaching taxi licensing bye-laws, a victim surcharge of £20 and costs of £1,000.
He also had his Spelthorne hackney carriage licence revoked.
Councillor Robin Sider, Chairman of Spelthorne Council’s Licensing Committee, said: “I am very pleased with the outcome and would particularly like to thank the witness, without whose clear evidence this case would not have been able to proceed.
“Mr Mohammed took advantage of vulnerable adults by charging them an extortionate amount for a journey of just a few miles.
“He also put them at risk as his insurance was invalidated. The council takes this type of dishonest behaviour very seriously and I hope the outcome of this case serves as a deterrent to others.”
Taxi driver loses licence after judge rules he was not a fit and proper person
Peter White, from Billingham, had his taxi licence revoked after being told he had a previous conviction which he failed to disclose
A Teesside taxi driver has lost his licence and been ordered to pay costs after a court ruled he was ‘not a fit and proper person’ for the job.
Peter James White, from Billingham , has had his licence revoked after a judge at Durham Crown Court endorsed a council view that he was not a fit and proper person to hold a taxi licence.
White, 40, of Tempest Court, Wynyard was also ordered to pay the council’s costs of £3,888.
The judge agreed with the Durham County Council committee that White was not a fit and proper person to drive taxis and its decision not to renew his licence
The local authority had initially made its ruling after hearing of a previous conviction which was considered relevant to White’s suitability to be licensed.
The committee had also based its decision on White’s failure to declare the previous conviction to the authority and complaints of aggressive behaviour towards council and enforcement officers.
A second man, Trevor Stark, 48, of Hawthorne Close, Langley Park had had his licence revoked by the authority after it found he too was not a fit and proper person to drive taxis as a result of previous convictions.
The two had then appealed the decision to Peterlee magistrates which ruled they should both be able to hold a licence.
But, unhappy with that decision, Durham County Council then took the case to the crown court which found in its favour.
Speaking after the hearing Joanne Waller, Durham County Council’s head of environment, health and consumer protection, said: “We are satisfied with the ruling of the crown court judge in these cases.
“When deciding whether someone is fit and proper to drive taxis, it is only right that we consider convictions which might impair their suitability to be licensed.
“These could include road traffic offences such as speeding or breaching laws which prevent drivers plying for hire.
“We were always confident in our original decisions which took into account the drivers’ previous misconduct, the taxi licensing regime, the relevant legislation, our licensing policy and relevant case law.
“We will continue to take our duty of deciding who is fit and proper to drive taxis extremely seriously.”
Bridlington’s largest taxi firm has had its licence revoked “in the interest of public safety”.
Q Cars, which employs around “30” drivers was given 21 days notice to cease operating, by East Riding of Yorkshire Council on Wednesday, last week.
The authority would not confirm the reasons behind the licence withdrawal.
But a spokesman added: “There have been concerns around the operation of a private hire business and so a decision has been made to revoke the private hire operators licence in the interest of public safety.”
It is understood that Q Cars plans to appeal the council’s decision.
However, the news spells an uncertain future for around “30” drivers employed by the firm.
One driver told the Free Press: “Everyone is going to be put out of a job.
“The owner is in a dispute with East Riding of Yorkshire Council and has lost his licence.
“We are going to have start driving on our own. We had a meeting last night (Tuesday February 7) and the council won’t budge.”
The employee added: “In the incident, a purse, containing bank cards and cash, was stolen.”
Q Cars’ website describes the company as “Bridlington’s largest taxi and private hire firm”. It also claims to make “5,000 bookings per week locally and nationally”.
The family-run business has been operating in Bridlington for more than 25 years.
The business owner was approached by the Free Press, but he declined to comment.
Another shocking tale of discriminatory behaviour by taxi drivers has emerged in St Albans, after a man with brittle bones disease revealed that some cabbies point-blank refuse to transport him.
The upsetting revelation was aired at a public meeting at St Albans district council, during a forum on Thameslink services.
Dominic ‘Dom’ Hyams, of Harpenden, who uses an electric wheelchair, told councillors he was often left stranded at local stations by taxis.
He told Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) representatives at last Thursday’s (2) planning scrutiny committee meeting that, generally, his experience was ‘very good’ as he calls station staff ahead of his departure, and the “friendly hardworking staff at St Albans, Harpenden and St Pancras always try and deliver a great service”.
He regularly commutes to St Pancras, which is close to his job at Assist-Mi, an assistance and customer service app.
Dom went on: “For many years I have found myself in need of using a taxi to get me home from St Albans to Harpenden when something goes wrong on the line.”
Although GTR gives him a special docket to enable taxi-drivers to recoup payment later, when there are service problems, he has found that “all taxi drivers at the rank now refuse to take the dockets from Thameslink staff, as they are not being paid within the 30 days payment terms. Frankly I don’t blame them.
“Many say they often are sent back forms if they are not precisely filled in. Thirty day payment terms can be up to 60 days or not at all. A couple of drivers will go beyond what is expected of them, and offer to still take me and my wheelchair but in recent weeks, they have both said that due to their struggle to get the money, they too would have to stop doing the docket work as it feels like they are doing it for free.”
However, he also faces difficulties when offering cash, as while most drivers have accessible taxis they “are still refusing to take wheelchair jobs” and he has been left to wait ‘indefinitely’ at St Albans City Station.
Dom said: “I believe in the main [they do so] because they can make this choice without any repercussions.”
He told GTR officials that “the docket system needs to be revised, it isn’t working.”
And he called upon St Albans district council, which has a statutory duty to license private-hire vehicles and drivers, to do more to protect those in wheelchairs.
He added that if there are no taxis willing to transport him to Harpenden, he is forced to contact “one of my parents to get me, who live over half an hour away. This is on the back of a long day at work, now delaying my journey home by hours.
“There needs to be a genuine punishment for cab drivers refusing to take wheelchair jobs. Having so many accessible taxis seems pointless, without the attitudes of the drivers changing and them realising they have a duty to take work from all individuals.
“The experience in London is completely different, with black cabs happily accepting all wheelchair jobs. They would lose their badge if they got caught doing such things.”
This follows revelations in this paper last year about a St Albans woman in her 60s complaining to the government about her shoddy treatment, when a taxi driver refused to take her to the Abbey Theatre, because she had a wheelchair.
Cllr Richard Curthoys, chair of the council’s licensing and regulatory committee asked Dom to discuss his ‘shocking’ experience further with him.
After the meeting, Michael Lovelady, head of regulatory services at council, said: “We are sorry to hear of Dominic’s experience at St Albans City Station.
“We have not previously had a complaint by him or anyone else about taxis refusing to take wheelchair users at the station. We’ve spoken to Dominic and asked that if this happens again, he should take a note of the driver’s plate number. We will then investigate.”
Mudassar Yasin, former general secretary of the now disbanded St Albans and Harpenden Taxi Association, said: “I’m disappointed that is the situation, but not surprised, as these sorts of incidents are happening on a daily basis.
“Some of the excuses drivers come out with are ridiculous.”
He suggested customers complain to the council, to prompt action from the authority.
Mudassar, who is director of Arena Taxis, said that his drivers were kept busy providing transport to residents in wheelchairs, particularly from Grove House, Grace Muriel House and other local nursing homes.